Smart Ideas for a Safe and Happy Winter
Winter is known for being a time of celebration, family gatherings and staying cozy by the nearest fireplace. It’s also a season of potential challenges when it comes to your home, vehicle and health.
Want to keep the season as festive and problem-free as possible? Here are a few tips to help you enjoy the rest of 2019 and beyond:
It’s good advice for any time of the year: Give your home a thorough once-over and complete the maintenance tasks that can prevent you from having to make expensive repairs later on. This includes:
- Examining your roof and gutters and looking for any leaks or obstructions
- Trimming dying tree branches or those that are too close to your house (or your neighbor’s)
- Checking the bulbs in your outdoor lighting
- Insulating pipes in unheated areas and inspecting your windows and doors for any areas that need recaulking or new weatherstripping
On the Road
Winterize your car by checking all its vitals:
- The battery
- Tire tread and pressure
- All fluids, including antifreeze
It’s also wise to keep an emergency kit in your vehicle, especially during the winter. A flashlight, blankets, portable phone charger, first-aid kit, extra batteries and a small supply of food and water are safety must-haves.
Health and Safety
Last but not least, take good care of your family and yourself during cold and flu season by getting a flu shot, washing your hands often and regularly wiping down commonly used items like light switches and remote controls.
And whether you’re getting your home ready for colder weather or the upcoming holidays, always exercise caution when using ladders, power tools, fireplaces and candles.
Want more tips before the upcoming new year? Need to discuss your coverage? Reach out anytime or contact us for a Garner home insurance quote.
Leave a Reply